Barnaby Webber Wiki – Barnaby Webber Bio
Barnaby Webber was a university student who was killed at random ‘just five minutes from home’ in a knife and van rampage in Nottingham today has been pictured for the first time.
Barnaby Webber, who previously attended Taunton school, was one of three people to lose their lives in a horrific string of attacks in the city earlier on Tuesday. The talented sportsman was killed as he walked home from a night out with a friend, fellow students said.
The cricketer and rugby player attended the £7,890-a-term school in his home town in Somerset, where family were gathering to comfort each other on Tuesday.
Barnaby Webber died at the age of 19 years old.
Cause of Death
Police have arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of murder after three people died in the early hours of Monday morning.
The three victims are believed to have been randomly attacked and stabbed to death by a knifeman dressed in black and wearing a rucksack.
Counter terror police have raided two properties in Nottingham, with officers saying they are keeping an ‘open mind’ about the attacker’s motive.
One raid took place this afternoon around Ilkeston Road in a student area of the city, where police were called to just after 4am to reports that a young man and woman had knife injuries and were ‘unresponsive’.
A student said the pair were just ‘five minutes’ from home when they were ambushed. Another said of the male victim: ‘He was a friend of mine. He was just walking home from a club like we all do and got unlucky five minutes away from home.’
After the first attack, a third body was found on Magdala Street at around 5.30am, which was an unnamed man in his 50s, police have confirmed.
In a press conference on Monday evening, a spokesperson said the force’s current hypothesis is that the 31-year-old man killed the man in his 50s, before stealing his van and ramming into three other members of the public nearby.
Police were called to the final incident on Milton Street at around 5.30am on Tuesday, where a van ran into three people who are now being treated in hospital. The man was arrested and tasered at 5.40am.
Barnaby’s grief-stricken father, David, 51, said only that it ‘wasn’t a good time’ when he approached at the family home, before other relatives arrived with flowers.
It is believed Mr Webber, director of an IT consultancy, called one of his son’s flatmates in Nottingham to inform the fellow students of the tragedy.
Both Barnaby and the young woman killed alongside him were students at the University of Nottingham.
A female student from the same halls of residence said: ‘Barnaby was a friend of mine he was just walking home from a club like we all do they just got unlucky they were five Minutes from home and stabbed by some random guy.’
The Webber family live in a £550,000 four-bedroom home.
Barnaby had traveled home from Nottingham only last month to play cricket for a local club, Bishops Hull. He had also turned out for them in an indoor league.
Taunton School newsletters report he was a talented hockey player too.
One man is in a critical condition, while two other people received minor injuries. They are believed to have been waiting for a bus at the time.
Nottinghamshire Police Chief Constable Kate Meynell, speaking outside a police station in the city, said: ‘Police were called to Ilkeston Road just after 4am after a member of the public reported that two people aged 19 had been stabbed and were unresponsive.
‘We had a further call to another incident in Milton Street, where the driver of a stolen van had attempted to run over three people. As a result, one man is in hospital in a critical condition while two others are believed to have suffered minor injuries.
‘The van was then stopped on Maple Street, where a man was tasered and detained by police officers on suspicion of murder. A man in his 50s was also found dead from knife injuries in Magdala Road by a member of the public.
‘At the moment, we believe that the suspect has stolen this man’s vehicle and driven it to Milton Street, where he is then driven at members of the public.
‘We are still in the early stages of the investigation. I need to determine exactly what the motives were behind this attack.’
Nottinghamshire Police said they are now working alongside counter-terror colleagues to ‘establish the facts’ and determine the motive for the attack. They do not believe anyone else was involved.
All the victims’ families have been informed and they are being supported by specialist officers.
The Home Secretary has expressed shock at the attack in Nottingham that left three people dead.
Suella Braverman said: ‘First of all, I want to say how shocked and saddened I am that three people have lost their lives earlier today in Nottingham and that further individuals have been injured in this tragic incident.
‘My thoughts first and foremost are with all of those who have been involved, their friends, their families and their communities.
‘I want to thank the emergency services for their rapid response. They’re working around the clock to keep people safe and we’re incredibly grateful for their efforts.’
She added: ‘I’m in regular contact with the Chief Constable of Nottinghamshire Police, but I want to take this opportunity to urge anyone who has any information about this incident to come forward and report it to the police.
‘It’s right that Nottinghamshire Police are working with Counter Terrorism Policing. But it’s also fair to say that everybody and all professionals on the front line are keeping an open mind as to what the precise motive might have been.’
Today, the University of Nottingham confirmed two of the dead were students and that a graduation ball scheduled for tonight would be cancelled.
‘It is with great sadness that we confirm the sudden and unexpected death of two of our students following a major incident in Nottingham city center overnight,’ a spokesman said.
‘We are shocked and devastated by the news and our thoughts are with those affected, their families and friends.
‘We know this is likely to cause distress for staff and students in our community. Support is available through our support and wellbeing services for any of our community who may need it.’
The local council will hold a vigil tonight.
Chief Constable Meynell earlier said: ‘This is a tragic series of events which has led to the lives of three innocent people being taken and left another member of the public in a critical condition in hospital.
‘My thoughts are with all the families affected by this shocking incident, and we will be working extremely hard to understand exactly what has happened.
‘We are at the early stages of the investigation and need to determine the motives behind these attacks and will keep the public updated as soon as we are able to say more.
‘We are keeping an open mind as we investigate the circumstances surrounding these incidents and are working alongside Counter Terrorism Policing to establish the facts – as we would normally do in these types of circumstances.
‘We do have a man in custody who has been arrested on suspicion of murder. Currently, we do not believe there is anyone else involved in this incident.
‘It is safe to go into the city center but there are a number of streets that will remain closed including Ilkeston Road, Magdala Street, Milton Street and Maple Street. This is so officers can gather evidence in order to understand what has happened.’
Witness Lynn Haggitt described seeing a man in a white van at around 5.30am on Milton Street near the Theater Royal. She said the man looked in his mirror and saw a police car behind him, before ‘quickening up’ and slamming into two people.
At 5.40am on Bentinck Road, witness Kane Brady told GB News he was woken by ‘what sounded like gunshots’ and saw a person tasered, dragged out of a van and arrested.
A 31-year-old man was arrested on Bentinck Road on suspicion of murder and officers are linking the three deaths.
A man was also found dead on Magdala Road. Delivery driver Miklos Toldi, 37, and his wife Petra found the body as they headed to work in their car at around 5.30am. ‘The blood looked as if it was fresh,’ he said – adding that the victim had been stabbed.
Mohammed Qasim and Nisar Ahmed, who work at Xclusive Hair Studio next door to one of the properties on Ilkeston Road that was raided today, said police also broke into the property last year.
Mr Qasim added: ‘A for sale sign has been up for about two-three months. We haven’t seen anyone since.’
Meanwhile, two female university students in another property that was raided on Ilkeston Road said officers repeatedly asked them if they knew a black man who lived at the address, the Telegraph reports.
Around 20 police officers-some armed with rifles-battered down the door and questioned Bella Crawshaw and her housemate de ella Liv.
Miss Crawshaw, a 20-year-old computer sciences student, said she was asked by officers if she knew of a black man who lived at the address or if she ‘hung out with one’.
The women were later released.
Nottingham city center remains locked down this afternoon, with dozens of squad cars, fire engines and ambulances on the scene.
Police have cordoned off around 400 yards from the scene at Ilkeston Road with tape, and what appeared to be medical kit was scattered across the road.
Two forensic officers arrived and appeared to dedicate the majority of their time at a bathroom and plumbing business called Willbond.
The area around a white Vauxhall Vivaro van on Bentinck Road has also been cordoned off.
The van has been left a short distance from the pavement with its passenger door open and what looks like a black bag on the road near the door.
A witness told the BBC he saw a young man and young woman being stabbed on Ilkeston Road, close to the junction with Bright Street in Nottingham, at around 4am.
The man, who did not give his name de él, said he heard ‘awful, blood-curdling screams’ and looked out his window to see a ‘black guy dressed all in black with a hood and rucksack grappling with some people’.
He told the broadcaster: ‘She was screaming ‘Help!’ I just wish I’d shouted something out of the window to unnerve the assailant.
‘I saw him stab the lad first and then the woman. It was repeated stabbing – four or five times. The lad collapsed in the middle of the road.
‘The girl stumbled towards a house and didn’t move.
‘The next minute she had disappeared down the side of a house, and that’s where they found her.
‘I’d say it all happened within five or six minutes.
‘The attacker then just walked off up Ilkeston Road towards town, as calm as anything.’
The man said he called the police who arrived within five minutes, before paramedics tried to revive the pair for 40 minutes.
Witness Lynn Haggitt told Channel 4 News she saw a van hitting two people on Milton Street near the Theater Royal at around 5.30am.
‘At half past five I saw a van pull up at the side of me,’ she said. ‘It was white, all white. There was a police car behind it coming up slowly, no flashing lights.
‘The man in the driver’s seat looked in his mirror and saw the police car behind him.’